Our masonry company performs full service residential and commercial stone and brick restorations and repairs with a creative approach that combines old-fashioned trade principles with impeccable customer service. From constructing commercial masonry high-rises to restoring and preserving historical properties, we guarantee that you will be amazed by our work.
Residential and Commercial Restorations
Many of the properties throughout Back Bay, South End and Beacon Hill hold historical significance for Boston. So using the right techniques to restore and preserve them is vital to preserving the rich culture and history of the city itself. Our team works directly with some of the most prominent historical and conservation specialists in the city, and we go to http://www.callaghanmasonry.com/eat lengths to ensure that the work we do is equally as structurally sound as it is aesthetically pleasing.
- We will re-point your brickwork using an exact reproduction of the mortar that was originally used to construct your property – even if it was built in the 18th century. This ensures that the bricks and stones of your building will be supported by mortar joints that not only function as well as the original mortar but also flawlessly match its color.
- We will replace any damaged or missing masonry units with bricks or stones of the same quality, color, density and wear. Working closely with the historical society and local brickyards, we can either locate or recreate a masonry unit that will match your home or business perfectly.
- As a side note: If you are considering a restoration for your property, go take a look in your basement, attic or backyard. Many times, leftover bricks and stones were deposited in these areas, once the original construction of a building was complete.
Our masonry experts can help you get your commercial construction project underway. Working directly with you or your architect, we can begin to organize your project, from zoning and permitting to breaking ground and constructing your new building. We have worked throughout Boston and its surrounding suburbs, so we are familiar with the building codes that govern new constructions in every corner of the city.
- New construction projects being planned in historical districts must be cleared with the Landmarks Department and, sometimes also with the Boston Redevelopment Authority.
- The Environmental Department must be consulted for any new projects that will be built over wetlands.
- Any plans for a new building that will be constructed within 100 feet of a city park or parkway must be cleared by the Parks Department.
Retaining walls can play a fairly important role in maintaining the safety of your property. Constructed of four main components (a base, masonry units, backfill and drainage pipes), these structures were designed to retain masses of soil that would otherwise erode or collapse and cause extensive damages to your home or business property. Our team has extensive experience planning and constructing retaining walls: gravity walls, terraced walls, cantilever retaining walls and anchored retaining walls. Each wall is designed to serve the same purpose. However, the limitations and complexity of the individual designs are based upon the total mass of the soil that the structures will need to hold back.
- Gravity walls are the simplest type of retaining wall; they are only intended to hold back gradients of soil that reach heights of about 3 to 4 feet.
- Anchored walls are fairly complex and often need to be designed by an engineer; these walls can reach immense heights.
Fireplaces and Chimneys
If you would like to incorporate a masonry fireplace and chimney into your home or business, give us a call. There is nothing like a warm glowing hearth to greet your clients, or to come home to on a chilly evening. From top to bottom – new construction or existing structure – we know how to build solid, long-wearing and reliable masonry fireplaces and chimneys.
If your home or business property’s stucco has been damaged, we can get your walls patched up and looking like new. The stucco repair process takes approximately 8 days to complete, so if you have noticed any cracks or holes in your stucco, call for an estimate at your earliest convenience. The sooner repairs are made, the safer your home will be from water leaks, mold spores and insect infestations.
Whether you are a home or business owner, patio pavers are the perfect way to construct an outdoor sitting space or walkways that will blend seamlessly with both the style of your property and the greenery of your landscaping. Available in an array of colors, textures and styles, patio pavers add warmth and charm to any environment.